Saturday, October 11, 2008

"Did You Know" Harsh Reality

In reference to the “Did you know” video, I had several concerns. However, I believe the most disturbing was the facts presented, concerning the future of America’s children. As a parent I wonder whether or not my children are receiving or will receive the proper education to prepare them for the expectations that society may have prepared for them. The reality that “10 jobs will be in demand in the year 2010 that does not exist yet,” left me with a worrisome feeling.
Everything concerning my professional life relates to me personally. I instruct my students the same way I expect my children to be academically prepared. Because of this, the concerns I may have for my students are the same that I have for own children. The skills children will need to survive in this new era are technological based, independent thinking and cooperative learning. One could say that the implications this may have for our current way of doing things would be “unlearning” the old way of instruction to try something new and innovative.
Noted in the “Did you know” video was a weight on the importance of technology. A change is needed within America’s schools. For example, in my school building we have three computer labs with 30 computers. Classes have to schedule in order to access the computers. However, I’ve visited other high schools in my district that have a class set (30) computers in every classroom. If this is to be initiated, then happenings such as this cannot occur. What constitutes one high school having computers in every classroom vs. a high school with less than 100 computers for 900 students?
A significant change would be to provide appropriate professional development for our teachers in terms of technology and making available the resources to implement this instruction. Looking at the Core Curriculum Content Standards and emphasizing technology more so that is integrated across the curriculum would be a start in terms of making a change.
However, I do believe it is possible for a teacher to be effective without the use of technology. It’s been done thus far. On the other hand, a change is needed and a major part of that change involves technology. As pathetic as it may sound, it has taken this class to make me realize a lot in terms of my instruction. The creative aspect of this is what was noted in the video, “My Space,” “Text Messages,” all of these are common terms to our children that involve technology. Therefore the instruction that occur based on this will more than likely have a lasting effect.

2 comments:

Jill Friedman said...

It really is terribly unfair that plenty of schools still do not receive adequate amounts of computers in comparison to others. Sadly, it seems like schools get either all or nothing when it comes to gaining access to technology.

In my last district, all the kids were supposedly going to receive laptops the year after I left. I'm not sure how successful the district was in having the kids use the laptops frequently and productively, but your post has inspired me to ask someone still teaching there.

Barry Bachenheimer said...

Regina-

What you talk about has a term: It is called the "Digital Divide" It is almost a haves vs. have nots and predictors of future potential success when it comes to education.