Sunday, October 26, 2008

Reflection on UBD Lesson

Creating this lesson was indeed enjoyable. As an educator, I’ve found that many of my students are not familiar with their past and the struggles that their ancestors endured in order to achieve many of the rights and or privileges that we now have. Because of this, I viewed this lesson very personal. Initially I looked at this design as a unit plan which is usually what I do when planning a lesson, especially if it is centered around a novel. The difficult part of this lesson was composing the overarching and topical questions. I’m not sure if I composed the questions correctly but based on the readings of the text I tried my very best.
The format was useful in terms of organizing my thoughts and reflecting on the lesson. The questions in Part 3-The Learning Plan, helped me remember elements that I wanted to incorporate into the lesson.I’m planning on starting this lesson upon return from the Teacher’s Convention next week. I believe that all subject matters correlate with one another especially English and History. With this, students will always remember and associate the readings of Toni Morrison’s novel, Song of Solomon, with researching their family history.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

I agree that this is an important lesson. Great job using this format! There are some really amazing genealogy resources on the site for the PBS show African American Lives II and African American Lives I. You should check it out if you can.

Regina C. said...

Rebecca,
Thanks for the information. The video the students will be viewing is actually from PBS. I'll be sure to look out for other programs from PBS.

Paul Tavarone said...

Regina,
Great job, you have a very detailed lesson plan. You are the third person to use journals as a part of your lesson. I never have used them. They do seem to be a great way to have students reflect on their learning. How do you go about grading them? Wouldn't it take a lot of time to read them all?