Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Whole New Mind

While reading Pink’s, A Whole New Mind, I think of the many new inventive ways educators are emerging from classrooms across America. No two are alike. Everyone has their own approach in terms of reaching the students. What works for one may not work for the other.
In terms of relating this to Pink’s philosophy, in some ways many may agree. Moving away from the informational age of the dominance of the left side of the brain to the conceptual age of the right side of the brain is a concept to actual sit back and reflects on.
As silly as I felt when I initially began reading the author’s theory, his views were persuasive in leading me to sway in the direction of his thinking. It was interesting to consider how individuals view situations depending on which side of the brain dominates.
In addition, the symphonic thinker would be successful in today’s society. Having the ability to combine tasks in order for the outcome to be whole, so that the ultimate result becomes the big picture is the goal of many individuals.
Moving from the informational age to the conceptual age will eventually become the new way of the world. Individuals who think outside the box and who are looked at as being creative will be more successful. To have the mindset of an artist or inventor, to be imaginative and resourceful will soon define achievement. As an educator, this may be useful in terms of production within our classrooms and abroad. Our children need versatile ways to view the various situations that are presented to them and those that may have that artistic or dominate side of the brain may have a wealth of opportunities set before them.

4 comments:

Jill Friedman said...

I definitely agree that it's important for teachers to bring creativity and resourcefulness to the classroom and to encourage students to do the same.

I'm not sure about you, but I personally sometimes find it hard to "think outside the box." I consider myself fairly creative in the classroom, but the Pink article and blog posts have made me realize how few opportunities I provide for myself when it comes to expanding my own creativity outside of the classroom.

I wouldn't say I'm feeling inspired to sign up for a pottery class per say, but this topic has certainly raised an important issue for me: how fair is it to expect my students to be creative on demand when I play down the importance of creativity in my everyday life?

Barry Bachenheimer said...

How do we strike the balance between the creative and the practical in school?

Levard Donat said...

I also agree that it is essential that we model and encourage students to think outside of the box. I think the classroom structure or design sets a huge tone for a creative atmosphere. In many cases, I find myself doing all types creative activities in order to get my students engaged.

Rebecca said...

I think it is important to think about how the creative element can help engage students. In the pych class group dynamics, here at MSU, we talked a lot about how much more motivated people are to work well in groups when they feel like they have a part in creating and deciding what and how the group will do. Seems like this could be an important element in the classroom as well.